Islamic Patterns book by Keith Critchlow

I realised that I tweeted about some experimenting I had been doing whilst exploring Keith Critchlows book on Islamic Patterns but I hadn't put them as a blog post so here they are as a compilation.

The book:



I found this page and wanted to explore these figures further:


Here was the first exploration:



And here is a gif of the construction process including how to find a triangle hexagon and square within the points shown.


I would like to look closer at the constructions on the following page:



I also looked at a semi regular tessellation that uses squares, triangles and hexagons. This was the page and my own explorations are below.







I like that here although in my initial construction I used a horizontal line the result looks tilted as none of the lines are horizontal or vertical. It also reminded me of some patterns I made using pattern blocks.

Comments